By B.C. Manion
When it comes to civic involvement, there’s a new group that hopes to make a difference in Lutz and Pasco County.
The GFWC Lutz-Pasco Junior Woman’s Club plans to be a bridge between the young girls who are involved in the juniorette clubs, such as the Little Women of Lutz, and the GFWC Lutz-Land O’ Lakes Woman’s Club, which consists mostly of retirees.
The target market for the junior woman’s club is for women who are out of high school, but are not yet retired, said Angelina Carter, the club’s founding president.
“That’s a huge gap, from high school to retirement,” said Carter, noting the junior woman’s club began meeting in January and has 15 members so far.
The club is staging its first fundraising event, a Christmas in July Vendor Fair, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on July 30 at Atonement Lutheran Church, 29617 SR 54 in Wesley Chapel.
The fair will have about 25 vendors, who will offer handmade crafts, earth-friendly products, food and other items.
The junior woman’s club also will be having a holiday cookie bake sale, in keeping with the “Christmas in July” theme, Carter said.
There is no admission charge for the event, but those attending are encouraged to bring a canned food item to help stock “Helping Hands Food Pantry,” which is housed at the church, Carter said.
Beyond conducting this fundraising event, the club also is actively recruiting new members, Carter said.
The club is open to more than just residents of Lutz, drawing from north Hillsborough and central/east Pasco. Meetings are at 6:30 p.m. every fourth Thursday of the month, with meetings alternating between Atonement Lutheran Church and Horizon Bay Assisted Living Facility, 414 Chapman Road E. in Lutz.
About 90 percent of the club’s activities are at night and the other 10 percent are on weekends to accommodate the working schedules of members, Carter said.
Anyone interested in finding out more about the group can email gfwclutzpascojwc@gmail or call Carter at (813) 210-1588.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.