Name: Matt Murphy
Residence: New Port Richey
Occupation: utilities project manager
Political affiliation: Democrat
Political experience: none
Office being sought: Pasco County Commissioner District 3
What separates you from your competitors(s)?
Experience – I have over 20 years of experience in utilities and project management. I know how to build and maintain the critical infrastructure of our county as well as building and preparing what is necessary for our future economic growth.
Motivation – Like many of you, I also had to look for work when the economy in Pasco bottomed out and work dried up. I was lucky to find work but it meant a weekly commute to Philadelphia. My focus will be bringing business and industry to Pasco to create jobs and not rely on housing and construction for our economy like we have in the past.
Objectivity – I will be focused on what’s best for everyone in Pasco and not be biased by political party or special interests. I do not have a conflict of interest when making decisions about development and growth in our county. My opponent cannot say that. She is tied to developers who have heavily funded her campaign as well as her family’s development business.
What do you hope to accomplish in your first six months in office?
The unemployment rate in Pasco is higher than the state average. I want to help motivate and lock in the companies that have agreed to move here (T Rowe Price and Raymond James) and begin construction. Secondly, I want to have another major business commit to moving to Pasco and bring a minimum of 300 jobs. Lastly, I want to set up a committee of citizens from all areas of the county to work on solving problems we see in our diverse communities. That I feel will be a good start to getting Pasco moving faster to a prosperous future.
What do you hope to accomplish by the end of your term?
1. Expand current businesses and bring in enough new businesses to Pasco to lower our unemployment rate to 6.5%.
2. Increase our reserves and become more financially stable.
3. Work with county personnel to enhance permitting, tracking and business creation processes.
4. Lower the property tax rate and discontinue park fees in our county.
5. Raise increases for our law enforcement, fire fighters and county personnel.
6. Implement a coordinated recycling program to help reduce waste in our county.
7. Work on solutions to our future water shortages in the county.
8. Increase our tourism by promoting all of our county activities and nature.
List your political endorsements: Alex Sink – Former CFO of Florida, Michael Cox – Former Pasco County Commissioner