Lung cancer screenings approved
The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force has approved guidelines recommending an annual low-dose CT scan for older smokers. This applies to people between the ages of 55 and 79 who have at least a 30 pack-year history of smoking, or equivalent to one pack per day for 30 years, or two packs per day for 15 years.
For those who don’t meet the criteria but want to be screened, a prescription is required.
Moffitt Cancer Center, 12902 Magnolia Drive in Tampa, is offering low-dose CT lung cancer screenings for $150, self-pay.
To schedule an appointment, call (813) 745-3980. For information, visit Moffitt.org/lungscreening.
The Medical Center of Trinity, 9330 State Road 54, will host bi-weekly Chatterboxes support group meetings to assist individuals suffering from communication deficits as a result of a cerebral vascular accident or other neurological disorder.
The next meeting is Jan. 23 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Caregivers and spouses are encouraged to attend.
For information, call (727) 834-4445.
‘Teen Talk for Boys’
St. Joseph’s Women’s Hospital, 3030 W. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., in Tampa, is offering “Teen Talk for Boys” Jan. 24 from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
This is a two-part class for boys ages 10 to 14. Topics include the physical and emotional changes of puberty, and a discussion about conception, sexuality, and the importance of abstinence.
Parents must attend the class with their child.
Cost is $30. To register, call (855) 269-4777.
Enrollment & Wellness Fest
Premier Health Centers will host its Enrollment & Wellness Fest on Jan. 25 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., at the New Port Richey Family Health Center, 2114 Seven Springs Blvd., Suite 300, in Trinity.
Participants can learn the facts about the health care law and the options available. The fair includes free health education and wellness resources, as well as snacks and giveaways.
For information, call (727) 645-4185, ext. 5015.
Morton Plant Mease Outpatient Center, 2102 Trinity Oaks Blvd., in Trinity, will host a breastfeeding class on Jan. 25 at 9 a.m. Cost is $15.
For information, call (727) 953-6877, or visit BayCareEvents.org.
The obstetrics program at Medical Center of Trinity, 9330 State Road 54, will offer a pediatric/infant CPR course on Jan. 25 at 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Participants will learn the skills of the American Heart Association course “CPR for Family and Friends.” Cost is $15 per person, or $25 for two.
For reservations, call (727) 834-5630.
St. Joseph’s Women’s Hospital, 3030 W. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., in Tampa, will host two sibling classes for children on Jan. 26. The class for ages 6 to 10 is from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., and the class for ages 3 to 5 is from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Age appropriate information and activities will help prepare children for their new role. An adult must attend the class with the child. Cost is $10.
For information or to register, call (855) 269-4777.
Memory loss seminar
The Health & Wellness Center at Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel, 2700 Healing Way, will present the seminar “Memory Loss: When to Seek Help” Jan. 28 from noon to 1 p.m.
Dr. Vanessa Veve will discuss the symptoms and treatment options for dementia, memory loss, Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders. A free lunch will be provided.
Space is limited and reservations are required.
For information, call (813) 929-5432.
ABCs of Diabetes
The Medical Center of Trinity, 9330 State Road 54, will host the seminar “The A, B, Cs of Diabetes” on Jan. 29 at noon.
Dr. Mark Gottlieb will discuss the rise in Type 2 diabetes, and new medications for obesity. A question and answer session will follow.
Admission is free. A complimentary light lunch will be served.
Seating is limited and reservations are required.
For information or to RSVP, call (727) 834-5630.
Walking trail ribbon cutting
Florida Hospital Zephyrhills, 7050 Gall Blvd., will host a walking trail ribbon cutting on Jan. 30 from noon to 1 p.m. The trail has been repaved and now has distance markers.
Refreshments and a light lunch will be served.
A new walking club is scheduled to start on Feb. 5 from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.
For information, call (813) 788-0411.
Volunteer at Pasco Regional
Pasco Regional Medical Center, 13100 Fort King Road in Dade City, is looking for energetic men and women to join its volunteer team, including junior volunteers between the ages of 14 and 18.
Opportunities are available in both clinical and nonclinical areas of the hospital.
To learn more about the program, call Amy Fort at (352) 521-1195.
Hospice grief support
HPH Hospice is offering a free eight-week Grief’s Journey support group for adults who have experienced the recent death of a loved one.
The group will meet from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Wednesdays, from Feb. 5 through March 26 at the HPH Resource Center, 37441 Clinton Ave., in Dade City.
Registration is required. For information, call (800) 486-8784.
CARES Enrichment Center, 13906 Fifth St., in Dade City, offers these activities:
• Adult Day Care: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Participants receive breakfast, lunch and a snack, along with organized activities. The program provides social and health services to adults who need supervision in a safe place outside the home. Reservations are required, and veterans are accepted. For costs and available funding, call (352) 519-9300.
• Senior Moments Early Memory Loss Program: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. For reservations or information, call (727) 862-9291, ext. 2002.
Hospital needs volunteers
Florida Hospital Zephyrhills is looking for volunteers to help with a variety of tasks including transporting patients to and from tests, driving the shuttle, distributing mail, cafeteria, clerical/administrative, and more. Volunteers must be at least 14 years old.
There is a minimum requirement of four volunteer hours per week.
Volunteers receive a complimentary meal in the café on the days they work, and recognition at the annual volunteer banquet. Orientation sessions are twice a month.
If interested, applications are available online at FloridaHospital.com/Zephyrhills, or by calling (813) 779-6256.
Support for stroke patients
Florida Hospital Zephyrhills has a stroke support group that meets the third Thursday of every month from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. The group offers support to stroke patients and their caregivers.
The meetings are in the hospital’s wellness conference room at the hospital, 7050 U.S. 301, in Zephyrhills.
For information, visit www.FHZeph.org.
Pasco Regional Medical Center events
Pasco Regional Medical Center, 13100 Fort King Road in Dade City, now offers the following:
• Free Senior Extra Breakfast and Walking Club: Every Monday from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m., in Medical Plaza I, Suite 108, for an invigorating walk and breakfast. For information, call (352) 518-1087.
• “Living With Diabetes,” a four-week education program: Limited to six participants per session. For information, call (352) 521-1100, ext. 1423.
Senior wellness at The Commons
The following wellness services are offered at The Commons, 38130 Pretty Pond Road in Zephyrhills:
• Ask a Community Care Coordinator: Every Tuesday from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Learn about various senior services offered by Community Aging and Retirement Services. No appointment necessary.
• Free amplified telephones: Third Wednesday of every month from 10 a.m. to noon. Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services of Florida offers amplified and text telephones and ring signaling devices to Florida residents. For an appointment, call (727) 853-1010.
Gulfside hospice programs
Gulfside Regional Hospice hosts a variety of bereavement groups throughout Pasco County. The following support groups are offered:
• Children Grief and Anticipatory Group, 5760 Dean Dairy Road in Zephyrhills, every Tuesday, 5 p.m. Call (727) 452-1592.
• Parents Support Group, 5760 Dean Dairy Road in Zephyrhills, every Tuesday, 5 p.m. Call (727) 992-8034.
• Newly Bereaved Group, 37826 Sky Ridge Circle on Dade City, every Wednesday, 2 p.m. Call (727) 992-8034.
• West Winds Support Group, 37411 Eiland Blvd., in Zephyrhills, every Wednesday, 3:30 p.m., by appointment only.
• Youth Support Group, St. Rita’s Catholic Church, 14440 14th St., in Dade City, every Wednesday, 5:30 p.m. Call (813) 780-1235.
• Latino Parent Support Group, St. Rita’s Catholic Church, 14440 14th St., in Dade City, every Wednesday, 5:30 p.m. Call (727) 992-8034.
• Children Support, 37826 Sky Ridge Circle in Dade City, every Thursday, 5 p.m. Call (727) 992-8034.
• Alumni 2011 Social Group, 37826 Sky Ridge Circle in Dade City, every Friday, 1 p.m. Lunch is served. Call Joan Kolb at (813) 715-4163.
A Grief and Loss Puppet Show with presentations is also available to schools and organizations, and can be scheduled by calling Ashley Monteath at (727) 844-3946.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.