Summer career camps
Pasco-Hernando State College will offer academic career-themed summer camps for middle school aged students (those entering sixth, seventh and eighth grades). The sessions will provide an opportunity for students to explore popular career programs offered at PHSC. Each camp will run for four half-days, Monday through Thursday.
- Nature/Environmental Studies, June 27 to June 30 from 9 a.m. to noon, at North Campus in Brooksville
- EMS First Aid and Safety, June 27 to June 30 from 9 a.m. to noon, at West Campus in New Port Richey
- Survival, July 18 to July 21 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., at East Campus in Dade City
- Photography, July 18 to July 21 from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., at Porter Campus at Wiregrass Ranch in Wesley Chapel
- Engineering/Advance Manufacturing, July 18 to July 21 from 9 a.m. to noon at West Campus in New Port Richey
- Health, July 18 to July 21 from 9 a.m. to noon, at Porter Campus at Wiregrass Ranch in Wesley Chapel
- Digital Photography, July 25 to July 28 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., at West Campus in New Port Richey
- Aviation, July 25 to July 28 from1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., at East Campus in Dade City
- Fire Science to July 25 to July 28 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., at East Campus in Dade City
For more information and camp fees, call (727) 816-3257, or visit PHSC.edu/summercamp.
Lutz students make Dean’s lists
The following Lutz students have been named to the spring Dean’s List or Dean’s Honor Roll at their respective schools.
- Calee Ash, Harding University, Arkansas
- Cami Ash, Harding University, Arkansas
- Gleb Barkovskiy, Bucknell University, Pennsylvania
- Kenneth Barrett, Bucknell University, Pennsylvania
- Margaret Brekka, Fairfield University, Connecticut
- Sarah Fecthel, Belmont University, Tennessee
- Julia Fresne, Furman University, South Carolina
- Brycie Gauthier, Oklahoma City University, Oklahoma
- Stephen Goldman, Belmont University, Tennessee
- Jessica Howell, Furman University, South Carolina
- Sarah Korta, Samford University, Alabama
- Katelyn Preiboy, Belmont University, Tennessee
- Katie Wynn, Belmont University, Tennessee
Russell Perciavallee, also of Lutz, was named to the recently-ended winter term Dean’s List at Washington and Lee University in Virginia.
Watergrass Elementary is ‘golden’
The Florida Department of Education has awarded Watergrass Elementary School the 2015-2016 Golden School Award for its seventh consecutive year. The award is given annually to schools which have exemplary volunteer programs.
Hours donated in all forms of volunteering are considered for the award. Watergrass has accrued a total of 5,570 hours this year. Joy Causey serves as the school’s volunteer coordinator.
Character camp conference
The theme of the annual Character Camp Conference, hosted by the Florida Intentional Character Partnership and The University of Tampa, is “Linking Smart and Good.” The conference will take place on July 22 from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., at the UT campus, 401 W. Kennedy Blvd., in the Vaughn Center.
The free conference is of special interest to teachers, school administrators, guidance counselors, paraprofessionals, school support staff, school bus drivers and stakeholders interested in the social, emotional and academic development of prekindergarten through grade 12 children.
Character Camp will feature national speakers with breakout sessions on digital citizenship, ethics in decision making, teaching social/emotional learning, and more.
The deadline for free registration is July 8 at Florida-ICP.com.
New website for internship opportunities
In order to connect employers and those seeking intern opportunities, CareerSource Pasco Hernando has created a website, which provides a single location for employers and future interns to find open internship positions throughout Pasco and Hernando Counties. This program provides opportunities for individuals who have completed occupational classroom skills training, and need to gain job-related skills and knowledge. Based on a potential intern’s eligibility, employers may benefit by being reimbursed between 50 percent to 80 percent of the intern’s wages.
The site also provides opportunities to veterans. The Military Transition Employment Program is designed to support veterans who want to enroll in or continue in postsecondary education under the enhanced post 9/11 GI Bill.
For information on internship opportunities, visit PascoHernandoIntern.com.
Eli Hazen selected to dream team
Pasco-Hernando State College Cisco Network Academy student Eli Hazen has been selected for the 2016 Cisco Live Dream Team event that will take place in Las Vegas in July. More than 80 applicants from across the United States and Canada were recommended by their instructors to represent their academy at Cisco’s largest customer event.
The dream team opportunity is in its sixth year, and is a premier education and training event for IT, networking, and communications professionals. Students gain exposure and recognition among potential employers, hands-on experience working with Cisco engineers, full access to event sessions, and the chance to take a Cisco certification exam.
The 2016 Cisco Live Dream Team is comprised of 10 academy students, two academy instructor mentors, and a returning Dream Team student as captain.
For information about networking technology and other career programs at PHSC, visit PHSC.edu/careers.