The Bishop McLaughlin Catholic High School athletics department has been nominated for the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) Fred E. Rozelle Sportsmanship Award. It marks the school’s first-ever nomination for the award.
The Fred E. Rozelle Sportsmanship Program honors schools whose athletic teams demonstrated exemplary sportsmanship during the regular season and the FHSAA State Series. The award is presented to one school in each classification whose entire sports program best exemplifies the qualities of sportsmanship as demonstrated by its coaches, players and spectators.
Criteria for selection of the winners includes programs and activities implemented within the school and community to promote sportsmanship; the number and type of exceptional sportsmanship reports; and the source of the nomination.
Some of Bishop McLaughlin’s accomplishments for the 2019-2020 season include:
- Over 10 college scholarships
- Three district championships (girls volleyball, girls soccer, girls weightlifting)
- A district championship runner-up (boys soccer)
- An individual regional girls weightlifting title (senior Addy Lee, unlimited division)
- 1,000-point scorer in girls basketball (junior Isabella Prada)
Classification winners will be selected in June, rewarded with $2,500 and a large plaque. Runners-up receive $500 and a commemorative plaque.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.