If you are a boater, there are new laws and requirements effective this year.
The Clearwater CG (Coast Guard) Auxiliary will teach virtual boating safety classes, via Zoom, to make sure boaters are up to date on all the equipment and operating laws, as well as the basics of boat handling, according to a news release.
Boat America is a boating certificate class that offers an in-depth boating safety course and provides the knowledge needed to obtain a certificate.
Some insurance companies offer discounts on boating insurance to those who successfully complete the course, the release said.
A boating safety class also is a requirement for many boaters in Florida, as anyone born after Jan. 1, 1988 must complete a boater safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission in order to operate any boat powered by more than 10 horsepower.
Online classes are scheduled for Oct. 22 and Oct. 23, and Nov. 19 and Nov. 20, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The courses will cover topics including:
- Introduction to Boating: Types of power boats, boating vocabulary, sailboats, paddleboats, powering boats, and engine types
- Boating Law: Boating registration, regulations, hull identification numbers, required safety equipment, federal boating law, state boating law, and reporting accidents
- Safety Equipment: Life jackets, fire extinguishers, sound-producing devices, visual distress signals, anchors, and other safety equipment
- Safe Operation and Navigation: Buoys and beacons, aids to navigation, navigation rules, docking, and the dangers of alcohol on the water
- Boating Emergencies: Hypothermia, boating accidents, man overboard, capsizing, emergency radio calls, carbon monoxide dangers, and weather
- Trailering: Types of trailers, lights, hitches, towing a trailer
- Sports and Boating: Water-skiing, hunting and hunting gear, PWC operation, and other boating tips
These classes are not lectures or animated cartoon sessions.
Each course is $50 per student.
For information or to sign up, contact the Coast Guard Auxiliary, Clearwater Flotilla, at CLWboatingsafety.com, email , or call 727-469-8895.
Published August 31, 2022
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.