County board members took action on Sept. 20 to appoint the inaugural members of the Cultural Advisory Council.
The Library Service Administration recommended these appointees, who were selected by the county board. The credentials of the appointees were detailed in the county board’s agenda packets.
The first appointees to the Cultural Affairs Advisory Council are:
- Lauren Murray, executive director of Pasco-Hernando State College’s Instructional Performing Arts Center, former director of the Columbus (Georgia) Symphony, former music chair at the Patel Conservatory at the Straz Center.
- Maureen Murphy, employed by Life Enrichment Center in Tampa, as well as former chair of the North Tampa Arts League, juror for Art of the Florida State Fair, juror for Carrollwood Cultural Center
- Izaura Spence, co-director of Reitz Union Board Entertainment Bands Committee (University of Florida) and chair of Generation M (Moffitt Cancer Center); supervisor, research financial analyst (Moffitt Cancer Center); member of Emerging Leaders of Tampa Bay.
- Charles Zider, adjunct instructor, Pasco-Hernando State College, background in archaeology and museum studies
- Abeer Abu Judeh, lawyer, with over 18 years of legal experience, able to support the Cultural Affairs Advisory Council in grant applications and other writing materials and presentations, involved in the Tampa Bay Wave and Women’s Association of Lawyers
Members of the advisory council “should be advocates for the arts and culture by encouraging the study and presentation of arts and cultural activities, making Pasco County a cultural destination,” according to materials in the county board’s agenda packet.
In addition to the appointed members of the council, there will be a liaison from each of these county departments: Parks, Recreation, and Natural Resources; Florida’s Sports Coast; and Library Services.
Commission Chairwoman Kathryn Starkey raised the possibility of creating a cultural affairs advisory council during a previous board discussion.
She said it would help put a focus on opportunities in arts and culture for Pasco residents.
The initial term for the appointed council members will be staggered, so two of the members were appointed for one year and the others were appointed for two years.
Published September 28, 2022