A sneak peek at Angeline Academy
The Pasco County School District offered an updated look at the Angeline Academy of Innovation, a new 6-12 magnet school that will come to the in-progress ‘town’ of Angeline in Northern Land O’Lakes. Angeline Academy is under construction on an 18.8-acre site, south of State Road 52, north of the Ridge Road extension and west of Sunlake Boulevard. The school will be situated in a community that will be home to H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center’s planned Pasco County 775-acre campus. In October 2022, JoAnne Glenn was named the school’s first principal. The new school will open in August for the 2023-2024 school year.
Pasco County Libraries offers a “1,000 Books Before Kindergarten” Reading Challenge, for ages up to 5 years old. Parents can sign up children to log books before going into kindergarten, to encourage early reading and literacy. For information, visit PascoLibraries.org.
Robotic Rumble Rama
Pasco-Hernando State College will host the PHSC Bobcat Robotics Rumble Rama VRC Spin Up Tournament on Feb. 25 at 9 a.m., at its West Campus, 10230 Ridge Road in New Port Richey, Building R, Room 151. For more information, contact Wendy Villa, associate director, Division of Workforce Development, at 727-816-3244 or .
Visit a Storywalk
Pasco County Libraries offers a Storywalk at the Jay B. Starkey Wilderness Park, 10500 Wilderness Park Blvd., in New Port Richey, in the playground area. Access is at the back, left Nature Trail Loop. Guests can read the story “The Very Last Leaf” by Stef Wade, featuring interactive prompts and fun facts. For information, visit PascoLibraries.org.
Pasco-Hernando State College (PHSC) will host a free community celebration of the college’s 50th anniversary and Black History Month on Feb. 25 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., at the PHSC Porter Campus at Wiregrass Ranch, 2727 Mansfield Blvd., in Wesley Chapel; and from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., at Instructional Performing Arts Center, 8657 Old Pasco Road, in Wesley Chapel. For information, call 727-847-2727, or email .
GTE Financial will award $3,000 scholarships to a number of GTE student-members, to support education and reward young adults who are dedicated to academic pursuits and community involvement. The scholarship is for undergraduate degree-seeking students and trade school students only. High school seniors pursuing an undergraduate degree and current undergraduate students at both colleges and universities are eligible to apply. For information and to apply, visit GTEFinancial.org, and click on Education and then Student Scholarships.
College and Career Fair
Pasco County Schools will host its third annual virtual College and Career Fair on March 1 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., to assist families as they plan for college entrance and/or careers after high school. Topics for presentations include: ACT/SAT support; college admissions process; collegiate athletics; financial aid, Bright Futures, and scholarships; Naviance (college, career and life readiness resource); resources for students with disabilities; and more. For information or to register, visit Pasco.k12.fl.us/oll/page/college-and-career-fair.
The Law Firm of Farah & Farah will award an Empowering Greatness Scholarship. A scholarship committee will use a rubric to rank all completed applications. The top 10% of applicants will advance to a judges’ panel for review and final selections. Participants and winners will be notified of the results by May 1. The deadline to submit an application is March 3. For more information, visit FarahAndFarah.com, click on “About” and then “Scholarship.”
Republican Party scholarship
The Republican Party of Pasco will award a $1,000 scholarship to a high school senior. Student requirements are:
- Must be a registered (or preregistered) Republican
- Have a cumulative 3.0 GPA
- Be a current senior of any Pasco County high school (public, private, charter, vocational or home-school)
- Must attend an accredited community college, university or vocational school in Florida
Applicants are required to write an essay and answer the question, “What is the importance of conservative values for young people in today’s world?” The deadline to apply is March 24. For information, visit PascoGOP.com/rpop-scholarship/.
- Scott Abramson, Odessa: Dean’s List, Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington
- Chelsea Aquino, Odessa: graduate of The University of Tampa
- Jaime Arredondo, Lutz: graduate of The University of Tampa
- Jackie Figueredo, Lutz: Dean’s List, Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne
- Daniel Higgins, Odessa: Dean’s List, Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinoi
- Olivia Jablonski, Odessa: Dean’s List, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- Natalia Kaminski, Wesley Chapel: Honor List, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla
- Brady Lindauer, Land O’ Lakes: Dean’s List, Saint Mary’s University, Winona, Minnesota
- Brycen Lowe, Lutz: Dean’s List, Carthage College, Kenosha, Wisconsin
- Max Martino, Lutz: Dean’s List, Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne
- Kelsey Mitchell, Odessa: graduate of The University of Tampa
- Cassidy Mizzi, Lutz: graduate of The University of Tampa
- Aaron Molloy, Lutz: graduate of The University of Tampa
- Holly On, Odessa: graduate of The University of Tampa
- Vasant Ramnarine, Lutz: Dean’s List, Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne
- Angelo Sardegna, Lutz: Dean’s List, Curry College, Milton, Massachusetts
- Julie Stevens, Odessa: graduate of The University of Tampa
- Laura Watford, Odessa: Dean’s List, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
MOSI helping students
The Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) now has a grab-and-go food service. The new “hot vending” concept is helping undergraduate business students at the University of South Florida, according to a news release.
The HUSTLE program is a college-oriented competition designed to educate the maximum number of students in business entrepreneurship through real world experiences, the release said.
It allows the students to apply their classroom knowledge, determination, and skill sets to operate a real business, all while having the chance to win one of two cash prizes totaling $100,000 to be shared with teammates.
The student team of “Just Baked Smart Bistro” offers guests grab-and-go sandwich options, desserts and treats, with both breakfast and lunch options available daily. In addition, MOSI also is offering deli sandwiches, salads, sodas and snacks at its expanded MOSI Marketplace gift shop.
For more information on the competition and program, visit HustleUSF.com.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.