Credit Union awards $15,000 in scholarships
San Antonio Citizens Federal Credit Union (SACFCU) presented 10, $1,500 “Be the Difference” scholarships to its members who graduated from local high schools this year. From left: scholarship recipients Alexander Gard, Caitlin Eudy, Anna Anderson, Makaelynn Cameron, Jacob Partain, Scout Newlon, Jillian Payne, Belal Mansour and Adeline Shiver; SACFCU leaders Tony Coleman, board of directors; CEO Patty Sarne; John T. Vogel, chairman of the board; and Jay Vogel, supervisory committee chairman. Not pictured is scholarship recipient Effie Tillack.
Pasco County Tax Collector Mike Fasano’s offices have raised $24,399 for Lauren’s Kids, through donations and the promotion of the Lauren’s Kids specialty license plate. Lauren’s Kids works with local school districts to prevent childhood sexual abuse through education and awareness. It also helps to heal survivors with guidance and support. To learn more, visit LaurensKids.org.
In addition to the funds raised, there are now 30 new Lauren’s Kids tags on the roads of Pasco County.
For information about the tax collector’s charitable giving programs, call Greg Giordano, assistant tax collector, at 727-847-8719.
- Evan Cuervo, Lutz: Dean’s List, Presbyterian College, Clinton, South Carolina
- Hannah Houser, Odessa: Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, The University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa
- Jack Houser, Odessa: Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, The University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa
- Peter Katsaros, Odessa: Master of Science, The University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa
- Carly Price, Odessa: President’s List, Husson University, Bangor, Maine
- Leia Randall, Land O’ Lakes: Dean’s List, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
The National Merit Scholarship Corporation announced more than 3,000 winners of National Merit Scholarships financed by U.S. colleges and universities. Officials of each sponsored college selected their scholarship winners from among the finalists in the 2023 National Merit Scholarship Program who plan to attend their institution. These local students were named as recipients:
- Isabel A. Bequer, Lutz (Academy of the Holy Names, Tampa): National Merit University of Florida Scholarship
- Salpriya Gande, Lutz (Academy at the Lakes, Land O’ Lakes): National Merit University of Florida Scholarship
- Louis F. Li, Lutz (Steinbrenner High, Lutz): National Merit University of Florida Scholarship
- Andrew J. Maroun, Lutz (Steinbrenner High, Lutz): National Merit University of South Florida Scholarship
- Lily A. Taylor, Lutz (Hillsborough High, Tampa): National Merit University of Florida Scholarship
- Kaitlyn H. Tran, Lutz (Hillsborough High, Tampa): National Merit University of Florida Scholarship
- Leina E. Owens, Odessa (Blake High, Tampa): National Merit University of Florida Scholarship
- Anastasia Bogdatova, Wesley Chapel (Cypress Creek High, Wesley Chapel): National Merit University of South Florida Scholarship
- Jenna Ly, Wesley Chapel (Wesley Chapel High): National Merit University of Florida Scholarship
- Megha Mano, Wesley Chapel (King High, Tampa): National Merit University of Florida Scholarship
Creative Writing course
Saint Leo University will offer a creative writing micro-credential, open to anyone who holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in any subject or from any university or college who loves to write. This includes graduates of Saint Leo’s Master of Arts in creative writing or other creative writing programs.
The summer residency will run July 8 to July 14 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the school campus, 33701 County Road 52 (formerly State Road 52) in St. Leo.
The residency is an immersive and community-oriented retreat with daily morning workshops, afternoon craft talks, and opportunities to share and receive feedback on writing in progress. Students will submit original creative writing in either fiction, creative nonfiction, or poetry for a small workshop group; however, throughout the week, students also will learn about all three genres, as well as the editing and publishing world of creative writing.
The deadline to enroll is June 30.