The Pasco Sheriff’s Office offers these tips to help you avoid gift card scams this holiday season:
- Inspect gift cards for signs of tampering, such as scratches or scuff marks around the bar code or additional adhesives on the exterior of the card.
- If the PIN is exposed on a gift card, notify a store representative and choose an untampered card.
- Never buy gift cards from an auction or community website; buy gift cards directly from the retailer.
- Be sure to save receipts when purchasing a gift card.
- Treat gift cards like a debit card; change the security code to something creative.
Also, remember that a digital gift card may be a safer option.
Published December 20, 2023