The Pasco County Commission recently honored Jeremy Dallaire, a field inspector who took quick actions to save the life of a man who had overdosed and was struggling to breathe.
A resolution adopted on Dec. 5 by the county board describes what happened.
It says Dallaire was in a restroom of a local Walgreens on Oct. 10 when he heard a man gasping for air.
The field inspector recognized the man had overdosed and immediately went to get the store’s pharmacist, who administered two doses of Narcan. Dallaire performed chest compressions.
The combination of the chest compressions and the Narcan were able to resuscitate the man and keep him alive until Pasco County Fire Rescue arrived. The emergency responders stabilized the man and transported him to the hospital.
The resolution says Dallaire’s actions serve as “testament to the (field inspector’s) dedication, professionalism, and readiness to help.”
His actions also resulted in Dallaire receiving a “Point of Light award, which is given to ‘recognize humanitarian accomplishments that occur outside of a team member’s normal work duties,’” the resolution notes.
Dallaire received a standing ovation from the audience at the board meeting.
Board chairman Ron Oakley offered the field inspector a chance to say a few words, but he politely declined.
The only thing he said was “thank you” in response to individual board members and Pasco Clerk & Comptroller Nikki Alvarez-Sowles who praised his actions.
Published January 03, 2024