The Florida Department of Health-Pasco County has issued a warning for consumers to be on the lookout for COVID-19 testing scams.
In a news release, health department officials note: “Now more than ever, residents should rely on trusted sources of information for access to COVID-19 testing, vaccinations, and future monoclonal antibody treatment locations in Pasco County. As demand for testing increases, so does the risk for potential scams.
“Residents are urged to be on the lookout for fraudulent COVID-19 products and practices, especially as it pertains to testing. Further, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has seen unauthorized fraudulent test kits for COVID-19 being sold online,” the news release says.
Here are some helpful hints:
- Rely on trusted sources of information for COVID-19 testing and locations
- Check to make sure a COVID-19 testing location is legitimate
Be cautious about:
- Unexpected phone calls or visitors offering COVID-19 tests or supplies
- Offers or advertisements for COVID-19 testing on social media sites
- Purchasing at-home testing kits from street vendors
- Offers from individuals going door-to-door selling at-home testing kits
- Links that seem questionable or are from unverified sources offering COVID-19 testing options.
Complaints about fraudulent activity related to COVID-19 testing can be reported to the State of Florida Attorney General at MyFloridaLegal.com or by calling 1-866-966-7226.
If you suspect COVID-19 health care fraud, report it immediately to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General online at Tips.hhs.gov, or call 1-800-447-8477.
If you suspect illegal activity relating to FDA-regulated products, including fraudulent COVID-19 treatments, vaccines and tests, report it to the FDA Office of Criminal Investigations at AccessData.FDA.gov/Scripts/Email/OC/OCI/Contact.cfm.
Pasco County COVID-19 testing and vaccination sites:
Gulf View Square Mall, 9409 U.S. 19, in Port Richey, seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Visit bit.ly/PascoCOVIDtesting for more information.
COVID-19 vaccination appointments are available from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., on the days listed below at these DOH-Pasco Clinics:
- Tuesday and Thursday at 10841 Little Road, in New Port Richey
- Monday and Friday at 13941 15th St., in Dade City
FREE AT-HOME COVID-19 TESTS
Residential households in the U.S. can order one set of 4 free at-home tests from USPS.com.
Published January 19, 2022