The Laker/Lutz News received Best of Show distinction at the 2017 Awards for Excellence competition sponsored by Community Papers of Florida trade association. This top award was presented to Publisher Diane Kortus at the group’s annual meeting held Oct. 20 and Oct. 21 at Hutchinson Island.
The Best of Show was awarded for a full-page ad, “Fun on 41 – Discover the Wonders,” that uses a hand-drawn map illustrating shopping destinations and restaurants along U.S. 41 in Land O’ Lakes.
The map’s illustrator is Laura Bloomer, a Land O’ Lakes resident and owner of The Blooming House. The Laker/Lutz News Graphic Designer Stefanie Burlingame and Account Manager Cheryl Michel were recognized for their work on this campaign.
Judges described the entry this way: “Creative and engaging. Fresh approach to display an advertising community.” Another judge added: “A wonderfully illustrated and colorful map referencing area businesses promoting result-oriented offers is sure to catch the reader’s eye.”
In addition to the Best of Show award, The Laker/Lutz News received six additional advertising design awards, and five editorial awards for stories and photographs.
“To have our work chosen as Best of Show is quite an honor, especially when considering there were over 400 entries in this statewide newspaper competition,” said Publisher Diane Kortus.
The newspaper received these awards in advertising categories:
- First place: Theme Promotion: Fun on 41 Map and Business Legend, Stefanie Burlingame and Carolyn Bennett
- First place: Real Estate: Tapestry Lake Park Apartments, Stefanie Burlingame and Carolyn Bennett
- First place: Spot Color: Pete the Painter directory ad, Matt Mistretta and Rachel Thompson
- Second place: Full Color Ad: Oasis Pregnancy Center, Stefanie Burlingame and Diane Kortus
- Third place: Self Promotion: Outside Sales Rep Recruitment, Stefanie Burlingame and Carolyn Bennett
- Third place: Best Special Section Cover Design: Congratulations Class of 2017, Matt Mistretta
The newspaper received these awards in editorial categories:
- First place: Personal Column, “My Father Loved This Newspaper,” Diane Kortus
- First place: Best Original Photographic Spread: “Rattlesnake Fest hits half-century mark,” Richard Riley
- Second place: Best Original Photograph: “Zoe Deimling just can’t stop looking,” Fred Bellet
- Second place: Best Original Photographic Spread: “Cueing up for a good time,” Fred Bellet
- Third place: Best Original Writing: “‘Dear World’ gives storytellers a voice,” Kathy Steele
Community Papers of Florida represents 86 publishers of free-circulation community papers that reach 3.5 million homes weekly. Members range from independently-owned publications such as The Laker/Lutz News to free paper/shopping guide divisions of major communications companies.
Published October 25, 2017