U.S. Rep. Gus Bilirakis is looking for nominations for the second annual Heroes Among Us event.
The event honors men and women who make communities within Florida’s 12th congressional district special.
It aims to recognize those who are dedicated to good deeds, volunteerism and going above and beyond to serve others.
“We all know that the Tampa Bay Area is a wonderful place to live, work and raise a family. It’s time we recognize the individuals who help make our community so special. If you know somebody who makes a positive difference for others, I encourage you to nominate them to receive a Heroes Among Us award,” Bilirakis said, in a news release announcing the call for nominations.
Last year’s honorees included:
- Selena Schulz: This 9-year-old author from Pasco County wrote “A Bed, a Buck, a Buddy” about helping shelter animals. She raised $1,500 in donations to the Pasco County Animal Shelter.
- Bob O’Brien and Vince Blancato: These teachers at Gulfside Elementary School in Holiday help students understand the benefits of growing and eating vegetables.
- Susan Traylor: This registered nurse in Pasco County founded Wellness Ministries, a charity that helps provide local homeless or vulnerable individuals with health care, transportation, clothing, and job resources.
- Marie Whitney and Lee Pagill: These were the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office Mounted Unit Volunteers of the Year in 2015
- Paula and Barry Cohen: These are the founders of the PACK Camp, a nonprofit summer camp for special needs children in Pasco County.
- Nancy Crane and Sarah Page: These women work at Quantum Leap Farm in Odessa, a nonprofit that provides therapeutic horseback riding for adults and children with mental/physical disabilities, including Veterans.
Nominations for this year’s award must be submitted by March 31.
They should include the nominee’s name, email address, phone number and reasons why he or she should be recognized.
Last year, about 100 citizens were honored with a Heroes Among Us award at a ceremony in the district. The congressman will host a ceremony recognizing nominees later this spring.
Published March 8, 2017