Easter events are scheduled across the region this week, offering ways for families to have affordable fun, and opportunities for spiritual reflection and celebration.
There are also a number of Passover events scheduled, which are included in an accompanying story.
Many churches offer Holy Thursday, or Maundy Thursday services, which is March 29 this year, as well as Good Friday services on March 30, Easter vigil services on March 31 and Easter services on April 1.
This list is just a sampling of the events and services being offered in The Laker/Lutz News coverage area. Please check local church websites for more details.
- All Saints Lutheran, 5315 Van Dyke Road, will have Maundy Thursday services at noon and 7:30 p.m.; Good Friday services at noon and 7:30 p.m.; Easter Vigil at 7:30 p.m.; and Easter services at 7 a.m. and 10 a.m., and an egg hunt at 9 a.m.
- Bay Hope Church, 17030 Lakeshore Road, will have a new Good Friday Experience, which invites families to walk with Jesus during his final hours. The experience lasts about 30 minutes, and is offered between noon and 2 p.m., and 5 and 7 p.m., on Good Friday. Services will be on March 31 at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., and on Easter at 9:30 a.m. and 11:15 a.m.
- Crosspointe Church at 919 Debuel Road is hosting egg hunts for pre-kindergarten and elementary age children on March 31 at 5:30 p.m., and on Easter, which is April 1, at 10 a.m. There also will be opportunities to meet and greet the Easter Bunny at this free event.
- First Baptist of Lutz, 18116 U.S. 41 N., will have Good Friday services at 7 p.m.; and Easter services at 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
- First United Methodist Church of Lutz will present a Good Friday reenactment in downtown Tampa, beginning at Tampa City Hall steps at noon. It will present another reenactment in the church sanctuary, at 960 W. Lutz Lake Fern Road, in the evening, at 7 p.m. Other events on the church’s Holy Week schedule include a Seder meal and Last Supper on Holy Thursday, the guarding of the tomb, from Good Friday until Easter; and Easter services at 7 a.m., 8 a.m., 9:45 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. There also will be a Jelly Bean Jamboree on March 31, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 20735 Leonard Road, will have Maundy Thursday service at 7 p.m.; Good Friday at noon and 7 p.m., and Easter services at 7 a.m. and 10 a.m.
- Idlewild Baptist Church, at 18333 Exciting Idlewild Blvd., will have an Easter family festival from 1:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., on March 31. That will include services at 3 p.m. and 6 p.m., a barbecue, bounce houses, a giant slide and an egg drop, scheduled for 5 p.m. There will be an outdoor sunrise service on Easter at 7 a.m., and other services at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m.
- Keystone Community Church, 21010 State Road 54, will host Good Friday services, 7 p.m.; Easter services, 8:30 and 11 a.m.; Easter breakfast, 9:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.; and an Easter egg hunt at 10:15 a.m.
- NorthPointe Church, 19862 Amanda Park Drive, has Easter services at 8:30 a.m., 10 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
- Tims Memorial Presbyterian Church, 601 Sunset Lane, has an Easter sunrise service at 7 a.m., and other Easter services at 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
Land O’ Lakes
- Harvester United Methodist Church, 2432 Collier Parkway: Maundy Thursday, 7 p.m.; Good Friday, 7 p.m.; Community Easter Egg Hunt, March 31, 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (bounce house, face painting, refreshments, a goody bag for each child), Easter sunrise service, 7 a.m., and other Easter services, 9 a.m. and 11 a.m.
- Our Lady of the Rosary, 2348 Collier Parkway: Holy Thursday at 7 p.m., Good Friday, at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. (Spanish); Easter Vigil, 7:45 p.m., and sunrise on Easter Sunday at 6 a.m., 7:45 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., and 1:30 p.m. (bilingual). There also will be a blessing of Easter foods from noon to 1 p.m., on March 31.
- Avalon Park West, 5227 Autumn Ridge Drive: Easter egg hunt, face painting, food trucks, bounce park, March 31, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The egg hunt is at 11 a.m.
- Atonement Lutheran Church, 29617 State Road 54: Maundy Thursday service, 7 p.m.; Good Friday service, 7 p.m.; Easter sunrise service, 7:15 a.m.; other Easter services, 8 a.m. and 10 a.m.
- The Zephyrhills-Wesley Chapel Ministerial Association will have its traditional Good Friday Walk of the Cross beginning at 5:30 p.m., outside of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church at 5316 11th St., Zephyrhills. Those who participate will take a pilgrimage with a cross through the streets of Zephyrhills marking the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Along the way, there will be seven stops at local churches to reflect on the last Seven Sayings of Christ on the Cross. The evening concludes about 6:45 p.m., at the First United Methodist Church, 38635 Fifth Ave.
- Community Easter sunrise service on Easter at 7 a.m., at Florida Hospital Zephyrhills, on the front lawn of the hospital at 7050 Gall Blvd. This service, which celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ, is presented by the hospital and the Zephyrhills-Wesley Chapel Ministerial Association. Those attending are encouraged to bring a lawn chair or blanket because seating is limited. The service will include music, a special Easter message, and a dove release at the conclusion of the service.
- The Pioneer Florida Museum & Village is hosting its second annual Jelly Bean Fling on March 31 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $5, and free for children under age 5. Parking is free. Admission includes rock painting, photos with the Easter Bunny, face painting, a petting zoo, an Easter bonnet parade with Mr. Tommy and other activities. For more information, visit PioneerFloridaMuseum.org.
Published March 28, 2018