The Carrollwood Cultural Center, 4537 Lowell Road in Tampa, will host “Jazz with Jim” on April 29 at 7:30 p.m.
The show with Jim Burge and The Jazz Directions will feature young performers of the Hillsborough County High School All-Star Jazz Ensemble.
Burge hand-selected the musicians during the All-County Jazz event on April 22 and April 23, and invited them to perform with him and his band.
Tickets are $13 for cultural center members and $18 for non-members.
For information and tickets, visit CarrollwoodCenter.org, or call 813-922-8167.
Enrollment Day events
Hillsborough Community College (HCC) will host High School Enrollment Day events at each of its five campuses.
Students will have the opportunity to participate in advising and financial aid sessions, complete fall registration, and leave with a full course schedule.
The event is for high school graduates only.
To attend, students must RSVP online, complete the HCC admission application for the fall term, and provide any ACT, SAT, PERT, AP or IB test scores, if taken.
Only one guest per registrant is allowed, if attending in person.
Space is limited. Registration is online at HCCfl.edu/enrollment-day.
In-person enrollment days:
- April 30, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Dale Mabry, Plant City, SouthShore, Ybor City campuses
Virtual enrollment days:
- May 3, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Brandon campus
- May 10, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Dale Mabry, Plant City, SouthShore, Ybor City campuses
Pasco County Schools has released the dates for Dual Enrollment spring textbook drop-off and summer textbook pickup.
- Central Pasco: May 2 to May 6 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at the District Office Complex, 7205 Land O’ Lakes Blvd.; park in front of Building 3N, by the ATM
- East Pasco: May 2 to May 4 from 3:45 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., at Thomas Weightman Middle School, 30649 Wells Road in Wesley Chapel; park in the lot between Weightman Middle and Wesley Chapel High
- West Pasco: May 3 to May 5 from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., at Marchman Technical College, 7825 Campus Drive, New Port Richey; park in the lot in front of the administration building
- Central Pasco: May 9 to May 13 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at the District Office Complex
- East Pasco: May 9 to May 11 from 3:45 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., at Weightman Middle School
- West Pasco: May 10 to May 12 from 3:30 p.m., at Marchman Technical
For more information, visit Pasco.k12.fl.us/oll/age/dual-enrollment, and click on the “Textbooks” tab.
Odyssey of the Mind
Pasco County Schools on its Facebook page congratulated the Odyssey of the Mind teams from Dayspring Academy (Port Richey), Sunlake High (Land O’ Lakes) and Wiregrass Ranch High (Wesley Chapel), as they will be competing in the OM World Finals, in May.
Nominate a student
Hillsborough County is accepting nominations for the Youth Excellence and Achievement Awards (YEA! Awards), until 5 p.m., on May 13.
The YEA! Awards were created in 2010, to recognize Hillsborough County students for making a difference in their community.
Students honored show initiative, innovation, and a commitment to themselves and others, while pursuing excellence in a leadership capacity. This can be demonstrated in academics, community service, athletics, performing arts, conservation, or other areas.
Nominations can be submitted for both middle and high school students, in each of these categories:
- Leadership — demonstrating positive impact on others in an ongoing endeavor, such as sports, academics or the arts
- Success Despite Difficult Odds — overcoming tremendous personal difficulty to attain success and to make a positive impact on others
- Volunteer or Community Service — allocating discretionary time to help others to complete a project that has improved the community
Nominations will be reviewed by the Commission on the Status of Women.
The awards will be presented in June by the Hillsborough County Commission.
Forms are available for online submissions at HCFLGov.net/YEA.
For more information, call Hillsborough County Communications & Digital Media at 813-272-5194.
Pine View Elementary, an International Baccalaureate (IB) school, will host the Pine View Elementary International Baccalaureate Magnet School PYP Exhibition on May 19 from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., at 5333 Parkway Blvd., in Land O’ Lakes.
Fifth-grade students will showcase their culminating, collaborative experience of their final year of the IB primary Years Program. The exhibition is a “demonstration of student agency, as learners exercise voice, choice and ownership by inquiring into local or global issues that are significant to them,” an email to The Laker said.
The opening ceremony will be at 5:30 p.m., followed by student presentations.