The deadline is coming up fast for area families wanting to enroll their students in the 2020-2021 school year lottery for Union Park Charter Academy, an A-rated charter school in Wesley Chapel.
The deadline for online applications is Feb. 14 for students in kindergarten through eighth grade. Interested parents should go to UnionParkAcademy.org, and select the enrollment tab.
Union Park Charter Academy opened in 2018 for grades K-6, and last year added a seventh grade. The 2020-2021 school year will see the addition of an eighth grade, completing the school’s elementary enrollment of 765 students.
The school has received exceptionally positive reviews from parents, students and teachers, and, in its first year, received a grade of “A” from the Florida Department of Education.
“We are so proud of our students and teachers who work so hard and are so dedicated to our students’ individual success, and our school’s overall academic excellence,” said Principal Tracy Ware.
The school is conveniently located at 32775 Oldwoods Ave., across from the Union Park subdivision and east of Meadow Pointe Boulevard.
Union Park Charter Academy is dedicated to preparing its students for the 21st century by teaching them skills they will need to be successful in the future.
“We believe that our students are global citizens who can play a huge part in the world, now and in the future,” explains Ware. “We believe it is critical that we begin to empower our students as future leaders to create a better world.”
The school’s curriculum has several initiatives to achieve this goal.
– Introduce students to different cultures and the impact we have on each other.
– Explore global issues we are currently facing, or will face in the future. This includes problem-solving and thinking critically about how students can make a difference.
– Students have started several charity and community programs on their own. From raising money for displaced animals to collecting pajamas for hospitalized children, every program is 100% student-created and student-driven.
– Empower students by helping them see that they are never too young to begin making a difference, and that this potential is inside each and every one of them.
Balanced Academic and Activities
Union Park Charter Academy offers programs that include a variety of academic, performing arts, and sports programs to help students develop intellectually, emotionally and creatively.
— A curriculum that focuses on core fundamentals and empowers teachers to create motivation learning spaces, utilize research-based instructional strategies and tools, and develop each student’s ability to meet their learning goals.
– A wide range of opportunities for students in performing arts through the school’s theater, chorus and Jr. Thespian clubs.
– Afterschool activities, including soccer, basketball, DIY, art, cheerleading, flag football, track, cross-country, dance, cooking and community service.
– Community programs, such as IdeaLab, and Bricks4Kids, to let students explore their interest in engineering and science with robotics, science labs, drone development and other engineering programs.
Safe and Collaborative Learning
All grade-level teachers and students have the opportunity to work together every day. Students experience instructional styles of all teachers in their grade level, which aids in the development of the whole child.
– Top-of-the-line security cameras, double-locked door entrance, an on-site school guardian and ID check system for all adults entering the building.
– A policy of zero tolerance for bullying.
– Research-based programs to establish a safe and inclusive environment in which students learn healthy behaviors and skills that support engaged citizenship.
– Curriculum nights for parents to learn about standards-based instruction, the school’s grading and home learning philosophies, state assessments, and reading and math activities outside of the classroom.
– School-sponsored events and community-service projects provide parents with multiple ways to connect with students, staff, community members and other parents.
A STEAM-focused curriculum provides one-to-one technology for all students in a digital learning environment.
– Students use iPads, laptops and SMART Boards, and are taught skills that include coding, robotics, data analysis, and traditional software knowledge.
– One-to-one technology allows students to explore and create individual works based on computational thinking to prepare them for college and career readiness.
– Technology is placed in the hands of students to support an interactive and motivating learning environment. Classrooms utilize the SMART Learning Suite, and most classrooms are equipped with SMART Interactive Flat Panels, which support teachers in designing more engaging lessons, including the ability to incorporate a gaming approach to instruction.
– Students are immersed in a highly interactive, student-centered learning environment that includes engineering, science labs and state of the art technology.
– Makerspaces for students that promote hands-on learning and everyday problem solving opportunities.
“We welcome all families interested in our unique approach to education to go to our website and enroll for the 2020-2021 enrollment lottery,” said Principal Ware. “Because we are a charter school approved by the Pasco County School Board, there is no tuition to attend our school, and we welcome families of all backgrounds to apply.”
School Enrollment Coordinator: (813) 358-7306, ext. 1008
To enroll in the 2020-2021 Lottery: csusa.schoolmint.net/welcome.